A day trip to Palaiokastritsa
Known as the “Capri of the Ionian Sea” Palaiokastritsa village is located on the west side of Corfu island. Scattered gulfs with crystal clear,turquoise waters, steep rocks and lush that almost reaches the sea, compose a magnificent scenery not to be missed when in Corfu.
If you are visiting Corfu island you should definately consider spending at least a day in this heavenly place. Besides swimming in some of the most beautiful beaches in Corfu and having the opportunity to taste some local specialty in one of the many traditional restaurants and tavernas, Palaiokastritsa has to offer you a large variaty of attractions and activities.
History & Mythology
Palaiokastritsa in greek means Old Castle area, referring to the nearby castle of Angelokastro, the Byzantine castle located on the nearby village of Krini, which from 1387 to the end of the 16th century, was the official capital of Corfu.
Corfu is the mythical island of the Phaeacians and the bay of Palaiokastritsa is considered to be the place where Odysseus disembarked and met Nausicaa for the first time. The locals believe that a rock in the sea just opposite Palaiokastritsa’s shoreline is Odysseus petrified ship, since its side towards mainland is curved like an extended sail of a trireme.
Things to do
- Take one of the small boats that takes you to the sea caves or to secluded beaches, which are reachable only by sea.
- Visit Palaiokastritsa’s historic Monastery which is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and is considered to be built around 1228. The monastery is located on the top of the hill, on the right side of Palaiokastritsa’s main beach and it also has a museum with icons from the byzantine and postbyzantine period.
- Visit the village of Lakones located at the north of Palaiokastritsa. The view from the village is truly breathtaking and you can find many traditional restaurants and cafes to grab a bite and rest.
- Visit Angelokastro just outside Krini village. From there you will have a breathtaking view from the entire area. Do not forget your camera.
- Visit Corfu Aquarium located behind the main beach of Palaiokastritsa. Meet different species of local sealife and over 25 different species of international reptiles. You can buy your ticket online here.
- Take the Underwater Cruise with Captain Nemo the Yellow Submarine starting from Alipa port. Exlpore the local sealife in real life action and admire the unique cliffs of Palaiokastritsa.
Where to Stay
Paraskevi Apartments – https://paraskevi-apartments.com
Napoleon Beach Apartments – https://napoleon-apartment.com
Where to Eat
After a long day you deserve a delicious dinner. Choose Taverna Sunset (https://corfusunset.gr), in Krini Village near Angelokastro, and taste the delicious greek cuisine along with breathtaking sunset view.
Distance from Corfu town: 23km (35 min drive)
Green Bus connection with Corfu town & Glyfada beach is available. You can find route’s details here
Map of the area